University Production Diary #1: Personal Project

Hello everyone, welcome to my first University Production Diary where I'll be showing you some of the things that I'm working on for my current University Projects. Let me tell you a little bit about the pre-production first. Brace yourselves a bit long, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the read.

At the end of last year we were in pre-production for two projects, one being personal and the other collaborative, the outcome of the projects are to create a 40 second show real demonstrating your skill of your specialized area (modeling, texturing, animation, particles .etc)....

From coming from a strong 2D, and now 3D animation background and enjoying a variety of big block buster video games I wanted to do body mechanic animations for my personal project, so like walk/run cycles which blend, death anims, fight anims (I think I have 6). Which I was able to get some great video reference for over the Christmas break and create animatics in Adobe Flash. So here we are now in the blocking stage of the animations.

Pose Breakdown Sheet of an Animation (sorry its small)

As for the collab project I'm working with a friend who wanted to make a Space Game. Its going to be in 3rd person and made in the Unreal 4 engine, I get to animate his pilot model using the unreal for animation rigging toolkit, which he also used for it. The animations which I shall be making will be jumps, attacks, gun run/walks, idles and a few others I think. They'll be put onto the character in UE4 and then mapped to keys on the keyboard...

There are a few other cool projects that I'm working on, is animating a bear for a kinda angular point of view game, the best example I can give is Lord of The Rings: Battle for Middle Earth style view. Which is cool, and I can include in my show-reel.

The last game is a survival game in Cardiff, I'm doing animations such as, walks, runs, idles and even some particle effects like fire, water and smoke, which I can also include in my show-reel. Overall I think I'll have a pretty decent show-reel.

But firstly the Personal Project comes first followed with Collab with the others.

Phew, ok, so yeah.  Here is the blocking for a few of the animations I have been working on. For anyone wondering, blocking also known as pose to poise animation, in Maya its a thing we do in animation where we can get a good feel for the timing of an animation, Which are created with stepped tangents on the graph editor. Later on when I'm happy with the animation, I would then spline it to have the animation running smoothly, from there I would be tweaking the motion and adding more in-between keys to the areas of that need a bit more work, and then finally we would be polishing and refining the animation, and doing slight tweaks to it, and there you have your finished animation.

Shhh! Ok I've done way too much talking already. Right, here are those animations blocked.

Head Shot Animation Blocking


Shoot Upper-body Animation Blocking


So that's where I am at the moment. At the moment, I'm finishing the blocking for my shoot spin animation and I'll the be starting my walk to run cycle, after that I'll have a few others to do but we can talk about that in a future production diary. :)

I hope you enjoyed the read, I'll see you on the next one.

Adam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business Studies - Company Research Report

Latest University Essay

So Why Am I Here Doing What I Do?